The Downward Spiral

rudyrooster

It appears as though this current team is in a downward spiral.  Have lost 10 of their last 12 games.  Winning percentage now at .395 (tied with Detroit for 3rd worst in MLB).

I never harbored any great hope that this years team could flirt with .500 baseball.  The talent is just not there--yet.  Fundamentally, this team is horrid.  Is that due to lack of talent or poor coaching by Hyde and his staff?

On the positive side,  looks like yet another high draft pick.

My math might be a bit off, but it looks like it too 178 pitches for Kremer, Akin and Lakins to get through 7 innings. You have to throw strikes or something that looks like a strike. All these no-hitters have been thrown by guys that pitch, not just rear back and throw velocity.

Sure was nice to watch Arozarena actually try and square the ball up with a level swing and not upper cut and try to hit the bottom of the baseball. One of the pitches was eye high and he got on top of it and singled back through the middle. And yes he hit a line drive homerun.

16 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Sure was nice to watch Arozarena actually try and square the ball up with a level swing and not upper cut and try to hit the bottom of the baseball. One of the pitches was eye high and he got on top of it and singled back through the middle. And yes he hit a line drive homerun.

51 strikeouts in 175 PA for him, well over the major league average.  

5 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Anyone care to revise their projected win total for this years team? 

I'm still sticking with 99 losses and I'm not a fan of Brandon Hyde as the manager for this team moving forward, in my opinion. 

Edited by Beysbol
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, oldfan said:

Right now would you rather have him or Mountcastle?

What’s that got to do with anything?   The point is, you made it sound like Arozarena is some old school hitter who goes for contact and doesn’t strike out, in contrast to the Orioles’ hitters.  In fact, Arozarena has been striking out a ton.   Almost indistinguishable from Mountcastle in that regard (29.1% K rate vs. 30.7%).

To directly answer your question, I’d rather have Arozarena, who was BA’s no. 17 prospect going into this season, than Mountcastle, who was no. 63.   Mountcastle is two years younger so maybe he’ll catch up, but Arozarena has a better all around game.  

11 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

It appears as though this current team is in a downward spiral.  Have lost 10 of their last 12 games.  Winning percentage now at .395 (tied with Detroit for 3rd worst in MLB).

I never harbored any great hope that this years team could flirt with .500 baseball.  The talent is just not there--yet.  Fundamentally, this team is horrid.  Is that due to lack of talent or poor coaching by Hyde and his staff?

On the positive side,  looks like yet another high draft pick.

When in doubt, it's always the talent.  Remember, Ned Yost won a World Series.